Online Casinos are designed to be fun and exciting places, but they can also be quite intimidating to the uninitiated. Newcomers often feel as though they are the only ones who do not know what they are doing, and some of them never end up leaving the slot machines as a result. You do not have to be one of these people. If you want to hit the tables like a pro, there are a number of ways to learn the ropes.
The very best way to feel comfortable playing table games in a casino is to learn the rules of the game, or games you wish to play. There are many books and guides available for every game in the casino, and there tons of practice games to play online. Another helpful way to learn the rules of casino games is to take advantage of a casino’s educational opportunities. Yes, casinos have educational opportunities!
Some establishments offer introductory classes for the games they host, and others have ‘play money’ tables where new players can learn the ropes in a stress-free environment.
In addition to knowing the rules of the games, knowledge of some universal casino rules can go a long way towards increasing your comfort level and allowing you to focus on winning, instead of focusing on technicalities.
When playing blackjack at a land based casino, you must signal your decision instead of saying it. The signalling is for the benefit of the security cameras, and utilizes two sets of rules depending upon the way that the game is played at that casino.
When your cards are dealt face down, use the following signals:
- To hit, scrape the corners of your cards lightly against the playing surface.
- To stand, slide your cards underneath your bet (be sure not to touch your bet with your hands while doing so).
- To split or double down, place your cards on the playing surface just above your bet, and place your matching bet next to (not on top of) your original bet. If you have two 4s or two 5s, hold up two fingers to split or one finger to double.
When your cards are dealt face up, use the following signals:
- To hit, tap the table.
- To stand, wave your open hand (palm down) over the top of your cards.
- To split or double down, place your matching bet next to (again, not on top of) your original bet. Once again, if you have two 4s or two 5s, clarify your decision by holding up two fingers to split or one finger to double.
Finally, it is considered proper casino etiquette to tip your dealers. Determining the amount to tip a casino’s dealer is just like determining the amount to tip in a restaurant. A general rule of thumb is to tip about half of your average bet per hour, with the amount increasing as the average decreases. If I play for two hours, my average tip would be $2.50 x 2, or $5.
These simple acts of etiquette will not only help you feel more at home in the casino, but also help the games in which you play run quickly and smoothly. Just as it will outside of the casino, a polite and cheerful demeanour will get you everywhere.